Monday, January 21, 2008

A GENTLE WHISPER

I KINGS 9: 11-12

11 The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.

These verses have always been a comfort to me. Elijah was feeling so sorry for himself. His words were, "I am the only one left and now they are trying to kill me too." Sounds pitiful. What is even worse was God had asked him (several times), "What are you doing here Elijah?"

How many times have we been in Elijah's place having a pity party and saying "I am the only one left?" He was hiding in a cave for goodness sake. But yet God found him. I am so thankful there is no place we can hide that God can't find us.

God could have just let him be but rather he called him out of the cave and said He would pass by. From the sound of it, a huge storm ripped the mountains to almost shreds but then it also says "but the Lord was not in the winds" or for that matter the earthquake or the fire. All three of these things are so powerful and could all be used to show His Majesty.

But He chose to speak in a gentle whisper. Sometimes it is easier to hear a storm, earthquake or fire but God choses a gentle whisper. Really a breath of fresh air so to speak.

Today all kinds of doubts and fears have filled my mind. I really don't want to go through another horrendous PGN stay that leaves me drained emotionally and physically. My thoughts were about that all day long.

I prayed for God to be easy on me this time. In my heart the thunder has rolled, the earthquake has come and gone and the fire is out. Then God whispered to me while I was folding laundry.

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

This has always been a favorite scripture of mine dating back to 1999 and a really confusing time for us as a family. But tonight even though I have thought of this verse probably a thousand times, something jumped out.

"plans to give you hope" Hope is all we really need. Hope is what He gives us. Hope is another way He holds us. Hope is a form of God's love. Hope will keep me strong no matter what lies ahead.

I am resting tonight in His hope.

No comments: