Monday, April 21, 2008

ARE YOU BORED?

Now that is a catchy title.
I wanted to tell you about a book I have finished reading through twice. There are even spots I have read more than that.
"Get Out of That Pit" by Beth Moore 2007
It has taken me one year but I have managed to get through it twice. Now I have read other things off and on so I am not a slow reader but this is the kind of book you want to enjoy and savor.
When I first saw it at the bookstore I thought it was a "depression" type of book and although it does lend itself to that theme I also discovered it is about so many other parts of our lives.
As Beth explains a pit can be about ANYTHING in our lives. What hit my between the eyes was boredom. Have you ever been bored with life? Essentially every day is the same thing over and over again. We as God's people should not feel this way but if you are honest, everyone has felt that way at some point in her life.
Several years ago a friend and I were talking about cleaning. Both of us are geeks. We sat down to figure out how many times a plate is washed during the year. (I said we were geeks.)
I forget the number but it was VERY high. Almost to the point of being exhausting when you think that YOU are the one who loads and unloads that plate or washes it by hand.
But this book deals with a remedy for the boredoms. The three steps are Cry out, Confess and Consent.
Cry out to God and let Him know just how boring your life feels.
Confess it too. While you are at it confess the thoughts that put you in this place to start with.
Consent is the final step. Accept God's will for your life and get out of that Pit. As you step out of the pit of boredom you can see life in a whole new light.
Be careful not to get too comfortable in your pit. That is a bad thing. You can't see the dirt around you for the dim light and you might find that pit, as dirty and slimy as it is, is rubbing off on you and your daily life. It is not pretty.
Yes you have the same plate being washed numerous times but examine the reasons behind it.
1- God has given you the financial capacity to afford to put food on your plate.
2- God has given you the ability to cook a meal to share with friends and family on that plate.
3- We live in a country where we are not fighting for every drop of water that falls and we are able to wash our dishes thoroughly.
4- God has given us a home to store our clean plates in and a sink to hold our dirties until cleaning time.
5- Although it is just a plate, you can look at it and capture the memories created such as a special birthday dinner, a family gathering, laughing with friends while snacking and the list goes on.
Some days it is really hard to imagine anything but a dirty plate. On those days use the washing as a time to talk to God and ask him to help you remember the good things in life along with removing the bad feelings that have accumulated like the dirty socks in your laundry. (That's a whole other story)
Right now God's will for my life is to be a mother of six children but time will pass and eventually they will all grow up and leave the nest. At times I am scared and lonely just thinking of that time. Other times I find myself wondering what God has planned next for me.
Either way I want to stay out of the pits that come along and rest assured God has a will for my life and boredom is not in His vocabulary for me or my life.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
Psalm 40:2

No comments: