Saturday, March 8, 2008

WE HAVE A BLIZZARD

It finally happened. For the first time we received a large amount of snow that was predicted.
Yesterday around 10 AM it started and has snowed pretty much most of the time since then.

Ann spent the night at a friends five houses down and we had her wait until the winds calmed some to walk home. Blake and I went out to meet her halfway and stepped off the porch into a 2 feet of snow. It was a huge drift. It was fun though.

On the ground we have about 10-12 inches. The winds blew so hard last night but are fairly calm right now although they are expected to pick up again.

I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. My camera needs to be recharged.

It is beautiful and when the wind is not blowing it is in the low 20s.

We have a level three snow emergency which means only emergency crews are supposed to be out. Sam just doesn't get it. He has asked twice to go to the YMCA. Each time I tell him it is closed but it doesn't seem to stick.

Everyone else is off doing their own thing. Today has been really quiet.

My sweet brother in law came by a little while ago and plowed our driveway for us. Thanks Cory!

Marvin asked if tomorrow was "church day" and I said yes but the snow would keep us from going if the roads do not get cleared soon. He said "Maybe we can walk." It is about an 8 mile drive but in his little mind it is close.

I told him even if we did walk the church would probably be closed because people couldn't get there.

He lovces church. Last week M and A started a new Sunday School class. He thinks it is the greatest. Anabeli was not too excited about going but when I picked her up she ran out of the room with a big smile on her face and said, "You were right mommy. I like Sunday School. I like my teacher too. Can we come back?" Of course my sweet daughter.

We went to the grocery last night about 10:15 PM. Blake had an emergency patient and I dropped him off and stopped by the store.

It was the strangest thing I have ever seen. All the bananas, apples and oranges were gone. The produce section was almost empty. The bread section had 2 packges of chocolate donuts. That was all. No bread, no buns, no muffins, just two lonely packages of chocolate donuts.

I would say at most only 20 gallons of milk was left, that included skim, 2% and whole. Of course the snack and pop aisles were picked over. All of the hamburger was gone and the meat section was down too.

It reminded me of a movie. Very few people were in the store and there was very little food. It was very creepy.

By the time I came out snowflakes were at least 2 inches wide. They were the biggest flakes I have ever seen.

As I sat in bed last night listening to the wind blow, I became so thankful for the things God has provided. We were safe and warm last night with food stored away. It also reminded me of the number of people here in our own city who do not have enough food, a warm blanket or a warm house.

God has been so good to us. This weather has reminded me of His great provisions. It has also reminded me of those less fortunate, especially of the children and older people who are unable to take care of themselves.

Food banks will be busy when the roads clear. I have been reminded of the importance of such places in the community. Don't forget your food banks as well. Plan on donating a few extra cans this week. It is such an easy way to help others in our community.

No comments: